Friday, August 1, 2014

Module 6: PowWow Grand Entry



Title: Chizits Treaty (I think - I can't tell what the title says in the video)

Performer: Armour Hill Singers

Culture or Origin: Native American

I was searching for videos of grand entry songs for PowWows.  According to my textbook for my culture unit, the grand entry song is exactly as it sounds; it is the song which the tribes dance and enter for the beginning of the ceremony.  In this video, the performers sit around a communal drum with mallets and a microphone in the middle. It appears that the powwow is taking place in a gymnasium, so their voices would need to be amplified to be heard by everyone.  Everyone plays the drum together on the downbeat.  One singer keeps his hand over his right ear, presumably so he can hear himself better and to make sure he is singing the correct pitches. Only one of the drummer/singers is wearing traditional clothing - the singer on the bottom left is wearing a headdress. A few minutes into the video, you can see the tribes dancing in as their grand entry is played in a large setting. It seems that very few people are dressed in traditional costuming besides those who are dancing in, which demonstrates a comfort with modern times and tradition. As I am studying Native American music more closely, I am impressed and constantly surprised at the ease at which the people find ways to connect tradition with modern behavior. I hope you enjoy this video!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your video very much. I had to get used to the style. It started out just like screaming to me but I eventually got used to it. Once I drowned out the announce it became even better. This style sounds very authentic and based on you studying Native American culture I feel I can trust you. It would be interesting to see how authentic this actually is. Obviously it is a little more modern than original powwows being in a gymnasium and using amplification.

    One of the things I thought about while watching this is how to adapt it to the classroom. I think it could easily be made a performance tool in the classroom and give the students a chance to learn the culture as well. I am not sure what your main focus is but maybe you could look into making this an activity with your students. I think they might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete